Thursday, November 8, 2007

November 8 - Rainy today and we suddenly notice a dead branch


Rainy and dull and the leaves keep falling. A big wind is supposed to be on the way and there should be a big leaf fall in the next few days.

Me and my wife have been photographing this tree for almost 3 weeks now, but today was the first time we noticed that there is an old broken branch sitting up in the crown. See the little photos which show first the break then the dead branch sitting on the live one, then the tip of the dead branch going down and to the left. I don't know if it will fall or will stay there till the branch below it dies. Either way I'm taking extra care as I walk around the tree! The branch must have broken a good time ago - there are no leaves on it and the actual break is the same colour as the rest of hte tree

I've found a great photo on Flickr of autumn leaf colours in close up. n Here is the link
http://rwanderman.com/index.php?showimage=391
What happens is that the holes on the leaf close and no more chlorophyll is produced and so bit by bit the other colours (that are there all the time) start to show. After seeing this I'm going to try a few close ups myself. Thanks Richard Wanderman - the guy who took the picture.

1 comment:

Auntie Web said...

My hero Ze Frank says that leaves falling is just "trees having a crap".

http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/10/101906.html

Love this blog Old Nick, keep it up!

Lucy