Wednesday, December 5, 2007

December 4 & 5 - A woebegone horse, the buzzards, and a tree prayer


Well it was a nasty blurry day yesterday and here is a photo to match of a woebegone horse in front of our tree all out of focus and blurry. This was on the 4th. Today the 5th was a bit sunnier and here is a picture of Audrey carrying hay to her horses in a field nearby. Maybe the woebegone horse was hoping to intercept her. As you can see, there is still a lot of water lying on the forest lawns. Audrey seems to be stepping warily through it. And the soggy black leaves soak it up.

And here are the buzzards. They flew mewing over the trees as I was photographing yesterday. Probably a pair and this year's baby I would guess. Usually you see buzzards in two's but sometimes you can see six or so at a time.

Our local forester Geof sent me this "Prayer for a tree". Rather nice.

The Prayer of the Tree :
Anon.

You who pass by and would raise your hand against me, harken ere you harm me,

I am the heat of your hearth on the cold winter night,

the friendly shade screening you from summer sun.

And my fruits are refreshing draughts quenching your thirst as you journey on.

I am the beam that holds your house, the board of your table,

the bed on which you lie, the timber that builds your boat.

I am the handle of your hoe, the door of your homestead,

the wood of your cradle, the shell of your last resting place.

I am the gift of God and the friend of man,

You who pass by, listen to my prayer and Harm me not.

Thoughts on trees, birds, beasts, prayers and humans tomorrow I hope. For now goodnight with a rather nice picture of a bramble leaf still in autumn greens and yellows with a tiny holly plant behind it. The bramble lives on the small scrubby set of bushes that grows round the roots of the tree. It tries vainly to climb up to the branches,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello old nick
Can you let us know what you learned from the experts. You sort of promised you would.
drshok